Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vogue Italia: Photography by Orhan Gonen

Vogue is an iconic publication known as the trendsetter in fashion and lifestyle. My first encounter with this legendary magazine dates back to my college years. I remember how excited I was every time going to the magazine store to get the latest issue. I've been finding some kind of salvation and inspiration through the pages, dreaming about a future career certainly in graphic design and trend-watching.

I've never thought of having one of my pieces to be published on Vogue one day. And that dream came true. I am working on various photography projects since 2009, starting with the Casa de la passe exhibition in London. I never call myself a photographer, but rather position myself as a visual artist. Photography is certainly an integral part of graphic design, and my perception of various things lead me to concentrate more on reflecting how I see the world around me. I first started by photographing close-up objects, then found more interest in portraits. Then came the concepting of lifestyle perspective. I used some of my pieces in various advertising campaigns I generated for my clients. Branding is principally related to visual aspects in design phase, so actually what I do has always attendantly involved photography.

Istanbul Series reflect my view of Istanbul. From Beyoglu to the Historical Peninsula, this authentic city must have been photographed by many artists from different perspectives. In this collection, I mainly focused on the illusion related to one's own perception, and used my lens in order to reflect manipulation of how I perceive Istanbul. The whole journey was like Alice in Wonderland, playing around to catch each monument, place or symbolic figure related with this city. One of the pieces from the series, "Harem" is published on Vogue Italia.

No comments:

Post a Comment